A laser cutter is a CNC(Computer Numerical Control) machine that uses laser technology to cut materials. It replaces the traditional mechanical knife with a laser, the mechanical part of the laser head has no contact with the workpiece. In terms of cutting, it has many advantages: Fast cutting speed, Narrow slit, Small heat affected zone, Good vertical edge of the slit, Cutting a variety of materials. Because of its ease of use and low cost, laser cutting machines are becoming more and more popular.
Laser cutter, also known as laser cutting machines, are mainly divided into CO2 laser cutting machines and fiber cutting machines. Their main difference is in cutting different materials. CO2 laser machines are mainly used to cut non-metals. Fiber laser cutting machines are mainly used to cut metal. With the rapid development of the science and technology, laser cutting technology has been widely used in the fields of automobiles, machinery, electric power, hardware and electrical appliances. Whether you want to start a small business or start a business at home, laser cutting machines can meet your requirements.
How Does Laser Cutting Machine Work?
The laser cutting machine gathers the laser beam through the focusing mirror into a small spot and then projects it onto the surface of the material (usually metal) to reach a high power at the focus. At this time, the material is quickly heated to the vaporization temperature. The material evaporates to form a hole, and as the beam moves relatively linearly with the material, the hole is continuously formed into a slit having a narrow width, thereby achieving the purpose of cutting the material.
During the cutting process, the nozzle sprays the auxiliary gas from the direction parallel to the beam to blow away the slag to ensure the quality of the laser cutting. Under the driving of the motor, the cutting head moves according to a predetermined route, thereby cutting out the workpieces of various shapes.
What Materials Can Laser Cutting Machine Cut?
The laser cutting machine is widely used, it is one of the necessary equipments for many companies. On the street we often see advertising materials that cutting with a laser cutter. We have a customer who bought a cutting machine to cut the metal advertising, and now he has his own decoration company. If you have a cool ideas, you can also consider choosing a laser cutter.
Fiber laser cutter for cutting metal
Fiber laser cutting machine is mainly used to cut metal, such as: carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminum alloy, aluminum, titanium and titanium alloy, nickel alloy and other metal materials.
Note: Fiber laser cutting machines are not suitable for cutting copper.
- Carbon steel
The laser cutting system can cut the maximum thickness of carbon steel plate nearly 20mm, and the slit of the plate can be narrowed to about 0.1mm. For low-carbon steel, it has a very small heat-affected zone and good verticality. For high-carbon steel, laser cutting trimming quality is better than low-carbon steel, but its heat affected zone is more.
- Stainless steel
The laser cutting machine makes it easy to cut stainless steel sheets. With high-power laser cutting tubes, the maximum thickness of stainless steel can be up to 10mm.
- Alloy steel
Most alloy steels can be cut with a laser and the trimming quality is good. However, tool steels and hot-mould steels with high tungsten content will have corrosion and slag during laser cutting.
The aluminum cutting is a etching, and the auxiliary gas will blow away the debris during cutting.
CO2 laser cutting machine
CO2 laser cutting machine is mainly used to cut non-metal, such as leather, cloth, crafts, acrylic, marble, paper and so on.
Some CO2 laser cutting machines can cut metal and non-metal, which called mixed laser cutting machine.
Tips For Buying a Laser Cutter
You can buy different laser cutting machines according to different materials.
- Laser cutting machine is used to cut decorative, advertising, lamps, kitchen utensils, thin sheet metal parts, electrical cabinets, elevator panels, engineering panels, high and low switch cabinet processing materials. These materials are generally thin, so you can use medium power (500w) laser cutting machine.
- Laser cutting machines are used to cut plastic (polymer), rubber, wood, paper products, leather and natural or synthetic organic materials. Since these materials are not metal products, it is best to use CO2 laser cutting machine.
- Laser cutting machine is used to cut low carbon steel and stainless steel with thickness of 8-20mm. These materials need to purchase high-power laser cutting machine to ensure good cutting effect.
What thickness can a laser cutter cut?
With the development of laser technology, the cutting thickness of laser cutting machines is also constantly breaking through. Since the laser cutting machine can cut a lot of materials, so different materials are different thickness, and the power of the laser cutting machine also affects the thickness.
For fiber laser cutting machine (metal): carbon steel-32mm, stainless steel-25mm. As the power of fiber laser cutting machine continues to increase, the cutting thickness of various metal materials is also constantly improving.
For CO2 laser cutting machine, for example: acrylic-35mm, the maximum thickness of wood can reach 40mm.
Laser Cutter VS Laser Engraving machine
Both are use the energy-dissolving material of the laser to get the shape we want, but they also have many differences:
- Function: The main function of the laser cutting machine is cutting, but most laser engraving machines can both engrave and cut.
- Power: The power of the laser engraving machine is generally 80W, 100W, etc, while the power of the metal laser cutting machine is at least 500w.
- Cutting material: Laser cutting machines are used to cut metals such as steel plates, stainless steel plates, aluminum, copper, etc. Laser engraving machines mainly cut non-metallic materials such as leather, fabrics, bamboo and so on.
- Size: The length of the laser cutting machine is about 5 meters, and the cutting area is about 3X1.5 m. The size of the laser engraving machine is small, the length and width are about 1.5 meters, the height is more than 1 m, and the effective working area is about 1.5×1 meters.
- Price: The price of laser engraving machines is much cheaper than cutting machines.
How Much Does a Laser Cutter Cost?
Now you know what a laser cutting machine is. Next, when you plan to buy a laser cutting machine, I think the price is important to you. We compared the different suppliers selling the laser cutter, which are listed here, you can refer to it.
Since many of the companies that sell laser cutter come from China, Alibaba is the choice of many people to buy. Let us look at the price of the laser cutter sold on Alibaba. (Alibaba is an important way for Chinese suppliers to sell globally).
In Alibaba, the large laser cutting machine (fiber laser cutting machine) costs 2,0000-4,0000 dollars, and the small laser cutting machine (CO2 laser cutting machine) is much cheaper, they only need 2000-4000 dollars. Depending on how you cut the different materials, you need to choose a different power laser cutting machine.
If you want to buy in Alibaba, you must choose carefully because there are many distributors on Alibaba, their products are very expensive. In addition, you have to choose a good seller. If you don’t know how to use it, then you know how important it is after sales.
If you want to buy a small or mini laser cutter, Amazon is a good choice, and on Amazon you can buy products from around the world. For mini laser cutter, you can put it on the table. Prices are generally below $1,000. Generally, mini laser cutting machine can only be used by individuals. If you want to do business, you need to buy a medium or large laser cutting machine.
3. Buy directly from the manufacturer
Many manufacturers have a website to sell laser cutting machines. At the supplier, you can buy high quality products at an affordable price. The only thing you need to pay attention to is picking a good manufacturer. I think there are two aspects that are most important: Quality and Service.
If you have a question, please leave a message.